New lighting exam technology to enhance your practice
The LuxIQ™ is the first exam tool to provide task lighting assessments and prescriptions, a new service for the growing 60 population and K-12 children. While bright light is known to be important for functional vision, it is challenging to measure or prescribe. With the LuxIQ you can quickly quantify near-vision performance over a broad range of light levels, color temperatures and colors, and then prescribe specific bulbs or lamps.
Simply place the LuxIQ™ calibrated light source Over reading material at a person’s working distance. Move its sliders to vary the brightness (lux) and color (°K or nm). The lightweight, portable device enables lighting assessments in an office, home, school or lab. With its Light Bulb Calculator™ or LightChooser™ software, recommend commercially available optimum task lighting in < 5 minutes.
Difficulty with reading or working? Lighting is a low-cost intervention.
Published studies show that many need bright light of 2,000—5,000 lux to maximize acuity. A typical desk lamp provides only 800 lux; an exam room 600 lux. Most offices, homes and schools need additional light for reading and working. The question is what to recommend or prescribe. The LuxIQ™ makes it practical to vary intensity from 0 to 5000 lux, and color temperature from 2,700 to 6,500°K— without swapping hot bulbs or changing fixtures. Use it to:
- Determine lighting needs in offices or homes without trial and error
- Educate patients in lighting concepts
- Determine lighting color effects
- Prescribe optimum lamps and/or light bulbs
- Conduct a wide variety of clinical and research studies
- Chart patient lighting changes over time to observe disease progression
5-Minute Lighting Exam
To assess acuity performance at various levels of illuminance and color temperature, switch on the LuxIQ and place it over reading material, such as eye charts and newspapers. In the white mode, examine the patient with intense, cool to warm light. Switch to the color mode to use the full spectrum of bright green to red light. For some, tinted light reduces eyestrain and further increases acuity.
- Select intensity using Lux slider, and keep constant.
- Adjust color temperature at that intensity using Color slider.
- Record the preferred intensity (lux) and color temperature (°K).
- Use the Light Bulb Calculator or LightChooser™ web app to recommend lamps or bulbs.
Finally a scientific basis to discuss and recommend task lighting.
The LuxIQ™ combines illuminance, color and lighting distribution to identify individually optimized task lighting and enable recommendations in less than 5 minutes. Patents pending.
- LuxIQ™ SOFT TOTE: LuxIQ™ships in a hard storage box, however this soft tote is an option which conveniently carries the LuxIQ™ and eye chart to home or office evaluations. Black nylon tote with rigid insert protects the base. Zipper pocket provides storage for AC adaptor.
525 nm (green) to 625 nm (red)
9” L x 7.5” W x 3” H; 1.75 lbs.
Rechargeable battery, 5 volt charger
Warranty and service
Jasper Ridge warrants the LuxIQ™ for defects in material or workmanship for 1 year from shipment and agrees to repair or replace. Warranty excludes normal wear and tear, misuse, abuse and shipping costs.
Patents pending on hardware and software. Rev. 11.11.14